|The Scott Effect|
|Written by:||Steven Kane|
|Directed by:||Michael Katleman|
|Original airdate:||May 30, 2016 (special premierer)|
June 12, 2016 (postponed)
|Nielsen rating:||18-49 rating:|
It has been four months since Dr. Rachel Scott's murder and the discovery of a cure for the pandemic that wiped out 80 percent of the world's population. Reporting live from St. Louis, President Jeffrey Michener addresses the population of the United States via radio. According to Michener, the American Reconstruction Plan was on course, the cure being spread far and wide to other parts of the world. While things were not perfect, they were slowly going back to normal.
Meanwhile in Southern Japan, with several bodies lying around, a woman tries to administer the cure to her son but the boy dies. The virus has mutated. Noticing this, Michener calls Chandler into his office for debriefing. According to Michener, the rumors of a possible mutation in Japan led the U.S. to suspect foul play on the part of President Peng Wu of China. The president sends Chandler to Asia to investigate and look for lingering signs of the disease while he was there.
Shortly after, Chandler calls Slattery, who is now in command of the USS Nathan James, to warn him of the possible danger as they head to Vietnam. The James has been sailing around the world delivering Dr. Scott's cure. Andrea Garnett is now Executive Officer while Carlton Burk's older brother Cameron Burk joins the crew as the ships new Tactical Action Officer.
Arriving in Hong Kong with Valerie, the two are enthusiastically greeted by Wolf Taylor, who Chandler had called ahead of time. The pair are greeted by Sasha Cooper, who presents herself as Peng's translator. Following a short reunion, the four head to a political dinner with the Chinese president.
Arriving in Vietnam, Nathan James settles off coast, with a majority of the crew heading to shore for a celebratory dance. Carmeron Burke is left in charge while his brother Carlton and Captain Slattery are among those who go ashore.
At dinner with Peng and several other ambassadors, Chandler "pokes the elephant" by asking Peng if he knew what the Scott Effect was. Not waiting for an answer, Chandler informs him that the effect represents the number of people needed for a cure to spread effectively. If that number was not reached, a disease had the potential to spread, with the cure eventually burning out. In a subtle power play, Chandler accuses Peng of neglecting his duty to spread the cure, opting to keep it all for himself for the sake of political China. With animosity forming between the two, Peng excuses himself from the table.
Back in Vietnam, the crew of the Nathan James is in full rager mode, with Slattery clearly uncomfortable. Slattery flags down Danny Green telling that he's being sent home to see his wife and newborn son to his excitement.
On the James however, Cameron Burk picks up three unidentified ships heading to their location. Alisha suggest warning Captain Slattery, but Cameron thinks calling on an open channel is a bad idea and sends the helicopter instead. In the club, Slattery decides it is time to go and has Rios gather the crew when he notices the men from the seahawk and thus realizes something is wrong.
Suddenly the lights go out, leading to a brutal ambush of the party and its particopanta. The members of the James are captured and taken into captivity. Green and Burke are able to make it out and find their way to the seahawk only for a truck to show up and destroy the helicopter with a RPG missile launcher.
Meanwhile, Chandler steps outside to see a much softer Peng then the one that had presented himself at dinner. He appealed to Chandler, informing him that he was doing his best. Parts of the conversation felt off, however, with Peng words appearing more as a warning than an emotional appeal. Suddenly after, Chandler receives the information of the events in Vietnam and learn that the president has ordered him home. As Cameron Burke list off the names of those MIA (Missing In Action), Kara makes a tough decision, ordering the ship to wait for reinforcements.
Just as he was about to head back with Valerie, Chandler realizes the missing members of the Nathan James might still be alive and disembarks from the plane just before it takes off. He meets up with Wolf and Cooper and tells them his plan to go to Vietnam and look for his old crew. Meanwhile, Valerie finally descrambles a voice communication and turns the plane around so she can inform Chandler. Chandler, Cooper, and Wolf notice the plane turning back when suddenly the plane is blown out of the sky to the three's horror.
- “I’m not worried about tigers. I brought a Wolf.” ( Chandler to Sasha Cooper)
- Eric Dane as Captain (CNO) Tom Chandler
- Adam Baldwin as Captain (CO) Mike Slattery
- Bridget Regan as Sasha Cooper
- Charles Parnell as Command Master Chief Russ Jeter
- Travis Van Winkle as Lieutenant Danny Green
- Marissa Neitling as Deputy Chief of Staff Kara Green
- Christina Elmore as Lieutenant Alisha Granderson
- Jocko Sims as Lieutenant Carlton Burk
- Bren Foster as Australian Senior Chief Petty Officer Wolf Taylor
- Kevin Michael Martin as Gunner's Mate Second Class Eric Miller
- Mark Moses as US President Jeffrey Michener
- Maximiliano Hernandez as Chief Medical Officer Ensign Rios
- Elisabeth Röhm as Chief of Staff Allison Shaw
- Ness Bautista as Master-at-Arms First Class Javier Cruz
- Fay Masterson as Commander (XO) Andrea Garnett
- Chris Sheffield as Lieutenant (Junior Grade) Will Mason
- Michael Curran-Dorsano as Lieutenant Juan "Gator" Mejia
- Ben Cho as Chief Fire Controlman Carl Nishioka
- Adam Irigoyen as Seaman Apprentice Ray Diaz
- LaMonica Garrett as Lieutenant Cameron Burk
- Fernando Chien as Chinese President Peng Wu
- Nestor Serrano as Secretary of Foreign Affairs Alex Rivera
- Elyse Mirto as Debbie Foster
- Vivian Nguyen as Ai
- Tania Raymonde as Valerie Raymond
- Eidan Hanzei as Toshiro
- Devon Gummersall as Reporter Jacob Barnes
- Hina Abdullah as EWO
- Eileen Fogarty as Vietnamese Delegate
- Drew Fonteiro as Dennis (credit only)
- Kristina Ho as Vietnamese Woman 1
- Yong Kim as Korean Man
- Andrea Martinez as OOD
- Stephen Oyoung as Lau Hu
- Dat Phan as Tran Ha Binh
- Shamar Sanders as Helmsman
- Akiko Shima as Grandmother
- Blake Webb as Flight Officer
- Although credited as EWO the name of Hina Abdullah’s character is given as Dalia Jaffe in previous and future episodes.
Episode Deaths Edit